Myofascial Release

RFK Jr. terminates task force heads amid overhaul

By Sebastian Wren 3 min read
RFK Jr. terminates task force heads amid overhaul - task force overhaul
RFK Jr. terminates task force heads amid overhaul

US Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. removed the two top leaders of the US Preventive Services Task Force last week, signaling a major shift in the panel’s structure. The task force, which decides which preventive care services—like mammograms and colonoscopies—are covered at no cost by insurers, has faced criticism for inactivity. Half of its 16 seats remain unfilled, and the group hasn’t met in over a year.

Overhaul of Leadership Raises Concerns

The move to replace Drs. John Wong and Esa Davis, who served as chair and vice chair, has sparked questions about political influence. Kennedy cited a review of current appointments as the reason for their removal. The letter sent to Wong and Davis emphasized the need to “protect the Task Force” and ensure “continuity and durability” of its work, though it did not specify risks.

Related: Passenger says quarantine orders misled on hantavirus cruise

“That task force has been lackadaisical,” Kennedy told a House committee last month, citing missed opportunities like early Alzheimer’s screening. He has since called for new members “with a clear mission,” though details remain vague. Both Wong and Davis are seeking reappointment but will not be eligible for leadership roles again.

Experts Warn of Erosion in Trust

Dr. Aaron Carroll, CEO of AcademyHealth, called the shakeup a threat to the task force’s longstanding reputation for nonpartisan, evidence-based recommendations. “You don’t build trust by sidelining experts,” he said. The American Medical Association echoed concerns, urging HHS to restore the panel’s transparent selection process and restart meetings.

Related: How to get rid of tooth pain?

The task force’s work directly affects millions: insurers must cover services rated A or B by the group at no cost to patients. Its recommendations span 92 topics, including cancer screening and maternal health. The panel’s recent legal battles, including a Supreme Court case that upheld Kennedy’s authority to appoint members, add to the scrutiny.

Shift Toward Specialists Sparks Debate

Kennedy’s overhaul extends beyond leadership. A Federal Register notice encourages specialists like cardiologists and oncologists to apply, a change some experts say could limit the panel’s breadth. The task force evaluates evidence across diverse fields, and critics worry that narrower expertise might compromise its mission.

Related: Foods To Help Your Body Recover After Surgery

The new members, expected to begin in July, will replace the current group of primary care clinicians. The deadline to apply is Saturday, but the process remains opaque. The task force’s previous work—like recommending universal hepatitis B vaccination for newborns—has been reversed under Kennedy’s tenure, further fueling concerns about its independence.

Sebastian Wren

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *